Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"Wait a Cotton Pickin' minute!"

I was surprised to read the Toronto Star this past week to learn that Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff was accused of using racist language with the phrase: “cotton-pickin’ minute.” I thought I would write about it here because my website's  aim (kinlinks) is to raise the specter of slavery and racism using some characters that we all know and love. In particular I talk about Bugs Bunny - who has elements of brer rabbit and of the culture of africans enslaved in the southern US at the time. It is 'funny' to see that the influence of brer rabbit and bugs bunny extends into the great "White North" in the 21 st century.

Check this link to find out more info on this phrase which originated in the 1700's when african slaves were forced to pick cotton.

No comments: